Summer is finally upon us and I’m looking forward to some warm, relaxing days spent outside. To keep with that more casual feeling, our summer religious education classes will also be a little simpler. As previously mentioned, we’ll be working our way through the “Love & Help” workbook, published by the UUA, in order to earn a completion certificate and enameled pin. Currently, the lessons are divided up into the following sessions:
- June 4th: About Me, I Like, What Shapes Me, and New Things to Do
- June 11th: My Family, Special Family Days, Helping Family, and Family Promises & Rules
- June 18th: Belonging, About My Friends, My UU Congregation, Friends in My Congregation, and My Gifts to the Congregation
- July 2nd: Principle #1
- July 9th: Principle #2
- July 16th: Principle #3
- July 23rd: Principle #4
- July 30th: Principle #5
- August 6th: Principle #6
- August 13th: Principle #7
- August 20th: The Sources of Our Faith, What Happens at My Congregation, and My Congregation’s Leaders (with guest speakers!)
- August 27th: The Flaming Chalice, UU Things I Know by Heart, The UUA, and Love & Help
- Sept. 3rd: Celebration and presentation of completion certificates & pins
A more detailed description on the creation and goals of this workbook can be found here: http://www.uua.org/re/blog/childs-uu-identity-love-and-help. I would also invite you to contact me with any comments or questions you may have in person or by email.
Since there will not be a story for all ages during the summer services, I would invite parents to bring their children directly to the RE classroom just before the service begins at 10 am. At this time, I plan to be in the classroom most of the Sundays this summer. That will leave us with a need for one adult volunteer per week to assist and be sure we’re in compliance with our child safety policy. A paper sign-up sheet is available in the social hall, or you can sign up online at: http://tinyurl.com/MSUS-Summer-RE
I successfully completed training to facilitate the 7-9/10-12 levels of Our Whole Lives (OWL) classes in May, so we are set to offer this programming for both elementary and high school levels this coming church year. I will be contacting all families with children and youth who are eligible to participate to organize a time for orientations.
Another exciting opportunity coming this summer will be the ability for children, youth, and volunteers to register online for fall RE opportunities, so watch for more details on that coming soon.