Here is another in an occasional series about the Wake Now Our Vision campaign which will distribute matching funds for legacy gifts made to UU organizations. There are brochures about this campaign in the narthex, and the literature and donation form are also available online at wakenowourvision.org. This matching gift campaign continues through June 30, 2020, or until the matching funds run out. Matching funds will be distributed starting in 2019.
If you wish to make a legacy gift to MSUS and generate some matching funds, too, here’s what you need to do:
- Reflect on your hopes and dreams for the future of MSUS. What has MSUS meant to you? Why is it important to you that MSUS thrives into the future? Can making a legacy gift embody your hopes for MSUS? Legacy gifts show a deep appreciation for our community and are one part of making today’s dreams into tomorrow’s realities.
- Decide what kind of legacy gift to make. The UUA has compiled descriptions of various types of legacy gifts and grouped them in a few different ways: how much you are able to give, how old you are, or what kind of assets you have. This information is at plannedgiving.uua.org. Of course, your decision has to fit your circumstances, and the UUA website is just one of many resources.
- Make the legacy gift – that is, change a beneficiary, make changes to your will or trust, create a charitable gift annuity – whatever you decided in step 2, make it happen!
To participate in this campaign, I recently named MSUS as the beneficiary of a life insurance policy. I called my insurance company to verify how to enter a charitable organization, instead of a person, on the beneficiary form. I had to provide the legal name (Michael Servetus Unitarian Society), the EIN (41-6053921) and the MSUS address and phone number. Easy! And there was no cost to do this. Other types of legacy gifts may require legal assistance and/or the advice of a financial planner, so there may be a cost for you to consider.
- Fill out the Wake Now Our Vision form and send it to the Legacy Campaign Director at the address indicated on the form along with documentation as noted on the form. This will secure matching funds for MSUS. You should receive a confirmation within 4-6 weeks.
- Let MSUS know that you’ve made a legacy gift. This is not required, but it is appreciated! An easy way to let us know is to give a copy of the Wake Now Our Vision form to Beth in the office.
- Be joyful in knowing that your gift will join with others so that MSUS can continue to invite, support and challenge people to live out our vision to be people who are OPEN, loving and inclusive; INSPIRED by many sources of wisdom; COMMITTED agents of compassion, service, justice and joy; SEEKERS at all ages engaged in questioning and learning.
Contact Katie J. for more information.