It was abeautiful fall afternoon that was 50 years in the making. Reverend Laura Smidzik was installed as MSUS' first full-time minister as the sun streamed in through the floor to ceiling windows of the First Unitarian Society sanctuary.
The installation held on October 8, 2016 was followed by a reception.
Numerous UU and Interfaith clergy from around the Twin Cities, MSUS youth and adults, and special guests welcomed Rev. Laura to the UU community of ministers.
The ceremony included:
- Prelude, Connie Metcalf, Pianist
- Welcome by The Reverend Dr. David Breeden, First Unitarian Scociety Senior Minister
- Processional Hymn - "Wake Now My Senses," Bruce Van Bronkhorst, Accompianist
- Greetings from:
- The Reverend Phil Lund, Unitarian Universalist Association (UUA), MidAmerica Region Congregational Life Consultant
- The Reverend Jim Floti, Unitarian Universalist Ministerial Association (UUMA), Prairie Star District Secretary
- The Reverend Ashley Horan, Minnesota Unitarian Universalist Social Justice Alliance (MUUSJA) Executive Director
- Dave Rudolf, Southern Anoka Community Assistance Food Shelf (SACA) Manager
- The Reverend Beth Donaldson, New Brighton United Church of Christ representing Local Interfaith Colleagues
- Call to Worship, Kathy Burek, Michele Wallace, and members of the MSUS Ministerial Search Committee
- Chalice Lighting, Barbara Hughes, Connie Metcalf, Doyle Mullin, Sig and Marti Reckdahl, and Lois Roadfeldt representing the Founders of MSUS
- Prayer, The Reverend Danny Givens, Above Any Name Ministries, Minister
- Anthem, The MSUS Installation Choir, Kate Burek, Soloist
- First Reading,The Reverend Karen Hering, Unity Church-Unitarian Consulting Literary Minister
- Second Reading, The Reverend Lisa Friedman, Unity Church-Unitarian Minister of Congregational and Community Engagement
- Sermon, The Reverend Janne Elier-Isaacs, Unity Church-Unitarian Co-Minister
- Hymn -" Spirit of LIfe," Bruce Van Bronkhorst, Accompianist
- Offering - Living Tradition Fund, The Reverend Luke Stevens-Royer, White Bear Unitarian Universalist Church Associate Minister
- Offering Music, The MSUS Installation Choir
- Act of Installation
- Church President Laures Young, MSUS Board of Trustees President
- Congregation's Affirmation of Installation
- All Gathered Affirmation of Installation
- The Reverend Laura Smidzik's Acceptance
- Charge to Minister, The Reverend Justin Schroeder, First Universalist Church of Minneapolis Senior Minister
- Charge to Congregation, The Reverend Victoria Safford, White Bear Unitarian Church Lead Minister
- Extinguishing the Chalice, The Revered Ruth Mackenzie, First Universalist Church of Minneapolis Minister of Worship and Coming of Age and Kate Burek, MSUS Member
- Recessional Hymn - "Go Now in Peace," Bruce Van Bronkhorst, Accompianist
- Benediction, The Reverend Laura Smidzek, Michael Servetus Unitarian Society (MSUS) Minister
- Postlude, Connie Metcalf, Pianist
Special thanks to First Unitarian Society (FUS) for hosting the ceremony and reception.
Fifty years ago members of a northern suburbs FUS reading group decided to experiment with lay-led ministry. This led to the founding of the Michael Servetus Unitarian Society. After fifty years of lay-led and part-time ministry Reverend Laura was called by the MSUS Congregation to be our first full-time minister.
Welcome Reverend Laura Smidzik!